The journals “Frontiers in Public Health” (Impact factor 2.031) and “Frontiers in Paediatrics” (Impact factor 2.349) are publishing a special issue on “Monitoring and Promoting Physical Activity and Physical Fitness in Children”. Prof. Dr. Yolanda Demetriou, head of the Associate Professorship of Educational Science in Sport and Health at the Department of Sports and Health Sciences (SG), has been appointed Editor of this “Special Issue” together with Adilson Marques (University of Lisbon/Portugal), Stevo Popovic (University of Montenegro) and Hugo Borges Sarmento (University of Coimbra/Portugal).
The subject area includes reports on innovative intervention research in schools, community centres or sports facilities to promote physical activity and fitness in children. Furthermore, articles investigating the effects of physical activity on the physical fitness of children and adolescents can also be submitted. All manuscripts will undergo the usual “peer review” procedure and undergo expert scrutiny.
“I encourage all thematically related departments and chairs to submit manuscripts online”, asks Prof. Demetriou, who is working as an editor for the first time. “It's a great opportunity to contribute a high-quality article to a prestigious magazine.”
The team of editors is interested in their own fields of research, review articles, case studies, clinical trials, systematic reviews and meta-analyses on the following topics, among others:
- Continuous monitoring systems for children's physical activity and fitness
- School initiatives to promote physical activity
- Community-based programmes to promote physical activity among children
- Promotion of physical activity among children in primary health care
- Promotion of physical activity through active commuting
- Limitations and practical implications of physical fitness assessments in a school context
- Assessment of fitness as an indicator of paediatric health
- The role of schools in monitoring children's physical fitness
- Health-related results relating to children's physical fitness
Articles can be submitted online via the Frontiers Journal Series “Research Topics” section. The deadline for submissions is 11 May 2020. Publication of the special edition is planned for 2021, also in hardback form.
Prof. Dr. Yolanda Demetriou
Associate Professorship of Educational Science in Sport and Health
phone: 089 289 24686
Text: Romy Schwaiger
Photos: Associate Professorship of Educational Science in Sport and Health/"Frontiers"