In November 2020, the Technical University of Munich (TUM) founded the "Munich Data Science Institute" (MDSI), a center of excellence for integrated data science and machine learning. This is intended to bundle relevant competencies in these areas to enable leap innovations with the greatest scientific, economic and societal relevance across its unique range of subjects throughout Europe through advanced theories and multidisciplinary data-driven research. The research activities, which are spread across several locations, are to be brought together under a common roof at the Garching campus.
Prof. Dr. Stefanie Klug, head of the Chair of Epidemiology, has been appointed a core member of the new MDSI. "Having regularly conducted data analyses with large data sets in various fields such as medicine or health science, we are particularly bringing our expertise in epidemiological and biostatistical methods to the new institute," explains the epidemiologist.
Dr. Daniel Link, a private lecturer at the Chair of Performance Analysis and Sports Informatics, was also appointed a core member. "For data science, sports is an extraordinarily attractive application and experimental environment," Link explains. "In sports, new methods of data analysis can be tested in an authentic setting that is at the same time reduced in complexity by the rules and regulations." In particular, collaborative behavior in sports games provides a number of challenging questions. Together with the Chair for Application and Middleware Systems (Prof. Mayer) at the TUM Department of Informatics, a funding application for joint activities has already been submitted via the MDSI Seed Fund.
The MDSI sees itself as a "central interface and innovation platform at TUM for questions and solutions from data science, machine learning and artificial intelligence." In addition, people and ideas are to be brought together across disciplines.
To this end, the following tasks have been identified:
- Network competencies: We bundle outstanding expertise from our Schools and Departments in the fields of Data Science, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence in a novel research center.
- Develop methods and technologies: We conduct our own basic data science research and develop new methods and technologies for applications in a wide range of disciplines.
- Bringing people and ideas together: We network experts and users, researchers and students in a culture of lively, interdisciplinary exchange.
- Driving innovation: We support the translation of research results, innovative technologies and services, and the development of sustainable business ideas.
- Supporting researchers: We provide scientists from all disciplines with professional data-related services and consulting.
Prof. Dr. Stephan Günnemann, head of the Data Analytics and Machine Learning Group, has taken over the management of the "Munich Data Science Institute". He is supported by Prof. Dr. Daniel Cremers, head of the Professorship of Computer Vision and Artificial Intelligence, Prof. Dr. Massimo Fornasier, head of the Professorship of Applied Numerical Analysis, Prof. Dr. Daniel Rückert, head of the Professorship of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare and Medicine, and Prof. Dr. Xiaoxiang Zhu, head of the Professorship of Data Science in Earth Observation.
Prof. Dr. Stefanie Klug
Chair of Epidemiology
phone: 089 289 24950
PD Dr. Daniel Link
Chair of Performance Analysis and Sports Informatics
phone: 089 289 24498
Text: Romy Schwaiger